Freedom of Information

The law gives you the right to ask for information held by us. This is called Freedom of Information or FOI.  The Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 

NHS Dumfries and Galloway FOI Policy

Before you make a request

You might not need to make an FOI request to get the information you want.

We have a duty to maintain a publication scheme that contains information we regularly make available. You might be able to find the information you want by checking our Publication Scheme.

Guide to Information Available Through the Model Publication Scheme 2016

Tips  for requesters

It can be a good idea to spend a little bit of time thinking about your request to get it right and ensure you receive the information you need. The Scottish Information Commissioner's website has some simple tips to help you:

Tips for requesting information under FOI

Making an FOI request

You must make your request in writing:

  • Email: 
  • Write to Freedom of Information Officer, Chief Executive's Office, Mid North, Crichton Hall, Glencaple Road, Dumfries DG1 4TG
  • Enquiries or advice: telephone: 01387 272752

A valid request for information should:

  • include your full name and address (or email address) so we can respond
  • clearly describe the information that you want
  • focus on the information you really want to see
Environmental Information Requests

Any request that you make for information about environmental matters will be dealt with under the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004.  For more information click on the link in the menu.

Health records

Health Records are exempt from Freedom of Information legislation, and therefore cannot be requested under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.

If you wish to access your Health Records, as a general rule you should contact the person responsible for managing records at the place where you have been treated. In most cases this will be the Health Records Manager if your treatment took place in a hospital, or the Practice Manager at your GP surgery.

See NHS Inform's How to Access Your Medical Records for more information.

To access your hospital health records, please complete and post back to the address on the form:
NHS Dumfries and Galloway Consent Form

Re-use of public sector information

Arrangements for permission to re-use NHS Dumfries and Galloway documents are covered by the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations

When you'll get a response

We aim to get the information to you within 20 working days. We will either provide the information you requested or explain why the information can't be made available. Some information such as personal data, commercially sensitive or confidential information  may be exempt.

Focus On