Welcome to the homepage of children's physiotherapy
Physiotherapy is a healthcare profession that promotes the health and wellbeing of all. Children’s Physiotherapy is the treatment and care of babies, children and young people from birth to 18 years.
Clink on the following link for information from NHS Scotland on what children’s physiotherapist’s do:
More information is also available from the website for Association of Paediatric Chartered Physiotherapists and their leaflet can be downloaded Physiotherapy for Children Leaflet
Children’s Physiotherapy covers a wide range of clinical practice and conditions – some are similar to those seen in adults and some are specific to children:
• Neuromuscular disorders e.g. Muscular Dystrophy
• Musculoskeletal pain e.g. acute injuries, fractures, joint pains
• Neurological conditions e.g. Cerebral Palsy, Head injury
• Respiratory conditions e.g. Asthma, Cystic Fibrosis
• Rheumatological conditions e.g. Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
• Congenital disorders e.g. Spina Bifida, Limb Deficiencies
• Orthopaedic conditions e.g. Talipes, Torticollis, Plagiocephaly
• Congenital syndromes and metabolic diseases
• Neonatal care
• Developmental delay
• Co-ordination difficulties
• Conditions where mobility is affected e.g. Oncology
The Association of Paediatric Chartered Physiotherapist have available a series of leaflets for parents, titles include information on the following:
Babies and development
Baby walkers - Are They Necessary?
Lying to Sitting
Head Turning Preference and Plagiocephaly
Flat Feet in Young Children
In toeing gait
Osgood Schlatter's Disease
Choosing the Right School Bag
Choosing Footwear for Children
Fit for the Future Kids Leaflet Scotland
Standing Frames - Safety and Maintenance
All of the above are available for download from apcp.csp.org.uk
For further information and to access the service contact:
The Willows Children, Young People and Family Centre
Tel: 01387 244581 email: dumf-uhb.Paediatric-Physiotherapy@nhs.net
There is also physiotherapist based at Newton Stewart Hospital and one at the Waverley Medical Centre, Stranraer.
Self referrals into the service are accepted from parents and guardians by phoning the number above.
Referral can also be made using the generic request for assistance form, please send referrals for all areas to The Willows.